BecausetheUnitedStates has thelargest minarchist libertarianmovementofallnationsandisoneofthemostover-regulatednationsoftheworld, thismanifesto is oriented towards the United States political system. However, mostofthemanifesto's principlesandpositions can be appliedtoothernations as well. Thisis a general manifesto, andanyperceivedomissions are notintentional.
Theoppositeof minarchism isauthoritarianism. Both are situatedbetweenthegreateroppositesofanarchyandtotalitarianism. Minarchism,libertarianism, classicalliberalism, andlaissez-faire are basicallyalloneinthesame, butthey are notsynonymouswithanarchyoranarchist capitalism, whichiswhythe Liberaltarian Political Syndicate (LPS)doesnotreferto non-libertarians (and non-anarchists) as statistsbecauseitimpliesthat minarchism andlibertarianism are synonymouswithanarchism. LPS thusinsteadrefersto non-secularist libertarianism and non-anarhcism as coerciveauthoritarianismor nannypolicestatismwhilerecognizingthattheextentandseverityofcoerciveauthoritarianismand nanny policestatism can vary.
The Liberaltarian Political Syndicate consists of both Eurocentrics and non-Eurocentrics that do not want to be identified with, confused with, and overlapped with anarchist capitalism, which is also known as anarcho-capitalism and agorism; paleoconservatism (also known as conservatarianism); Rothbardian-Rockwellian paleolibertarianism; Randian Objectivism, or the Tea Party movement. Much of the news media in particular is guilty out of ignorance of identifying paleoconservatives like Ron and Rand Paul as being "libertarian," and also the late Ayn Rand, the founder of Objectivism, who wanted nothing to do with the libertarian movement or the Libertarian Party, even though most of her philosophy has a lot in common with libertarianism.
Liberaltarianism is basically a mixture of liberal progressive and secular minarchist libertarian political philosophy. The political philosophy known as Left Libertarianism is basically comprised of anarcho-capitalists.
Those that identify with Christian Reconstructionism, also known as Dominionism. Although Christian Reconstructionists and paleoconcservatives call for more limited government, they nevertheless believe that government should among other things regulate the wombs of women in relation to prohibiting abortion as a means of birth control, and to deny equal rights under the law for homosexuals, based on their religious moral opposition to abortion and homosexuality.
Paleolibertarians are libertariansthatplace more emphasisonissuesoftaxation, economicfreedom, andprivatepropertyrightsthanthey do on individual libertyand social freedomsnotnecessarilyrelatedtoeconomics. Theyalsoregard social conservativesandthecoerciveauthoritarianRight as being a lesserevilthanthecoerciveauthoritarianLeft,and are unopposedtoformingpoliticalallianceswiththeRightoncommon causes. Theauthorsofthepaleolibertarianapproach are the late MurrayRothbardandstilllivingLewRockwell, whosewebsiteisincludedonthis blog via a linkintherighthandcolumn. Paleolibertarians are also referred to as" right-wing libertarians" and include "libertarian Republicans".
Paleoconservatives or conservatarians are basicallyright-wing social conservativesthatholdsomelibertarianviews, particularlyinrelationtotaxation, economics, privatepropertyrights, drugdecriminalization, and a non-interventionistforeignpolicy,includingthecallforsmallergovernment. Butunlikelibertarians, paleoconservatives favor statesrightsover individual rights, and do notoppose federal, state, and local lawsthat are notinconflictwiththeirconservative moral values, including restrictive immigration laws. Manypaleoconservatives are associatedwiththeconspiracytheorymovement. The first and foremost of them all is radio talk show host Alex Jones, who labels himself as a "constitutional libertarian," but who rants and raves almost every broadcast against legal abortion as a means of birth control and the alleged persecution of Christians. Not all paleoconservatives hold the same libertarian views. Former U.S. Congressman Ron Paul and his son Senator Rand Paul are examples of this. Ron favors drug decriminalization and a non-interventionist foreign policy, whereas Rand does not.
Paleoliberals or progessitarians are the opposite of conservatarians. Manyof them refertothemselves as social libertarians, and tendtoagreewithliberaltariansonmanyissuesrelatedto social freedomsand civil liberties, and favor a non-interventionistforeignpolicy as do liberaltarians and centrist libertarians. However, progressitarians tendtosupport a significantamountgovernmentinterventionintheeconomy; heavyregulationofbusinessesandprofessions, andimposinglawsoffairness, equality, and non-discriminationupontheprivate sector inlieuofproposingoptional incentives as does the LPS inthismanifesto. A prime exampleof a well-knownprogressitarianinthe USA whoidentifieshimself as a "social libertarian" isentertainer, talkshowhost, andpolitical and social commentatorBillMaher.
Anarchist capitalists,who are more commonly known as anarcho-capitalists andagorists, are freemarketcapitalistanarchiststhatopposetheconceptofstatistgovernmentandbelieve as doesMarxistphilosophythatsocieties can eventuallyoperatesufficientlyon a voluntarycooperativebasiswithout formal laws, enforcement, andinterventiononthepartof local, state, and federal governments. Minarchistlibertarians and liberaltariansholdthatto be trueforindigenous tribal societiesandsmallvoluntarycommunitariansocietieslike, forexample, thosethattheAmishpeopleoperatewithin, butnotlarge, complexcivilizedsocietieswherenoteveryone can be reliedupontorespectthelife, libertyandpropertyrightsofothersinanhonestandpeacefulmanner, nor in such a large, complex society in which everyone can be relied upon to participate in voluntary communitarianism.
Minarchists and liberaltarians are anarchists at heart and have no reservation about committing calculated acts of civil obedience against laws that should not be on the books in the first place, particularly victimless crime laws and actions that do not violate the rights of others. However, we are not Utopians.
Objectivists, alsoknown as Randians, are thosewho are adherentstoObjectivism--thephilosophicalmovementcreatedbytheRussian-bornAmericanauthorAynRand (1905 - 1982), whoismostfamousforhervoluminous novel, Atlas Shrugged.
Objectivistphilosophy has muchincommonwithlibertarianism. A primarydifferenceistheorthodoxObjectiviststanceonforeignpolicy, whichbasicallysaysthatcapitalistdemocracieshave a moral obligationtotryandoverthrowtyrannicaltotalitarianregimes. Liberaltarians and most centrist libertarians on the other hand,holdthepositionthatnationsshouldexercise a politically neutral, non-interventionistSwissandJeffersonian-modelforeignpolicyof "Peace, commerce, andhonestfriendshipwithallnations--entanglingallianceswithnone," andnotattempttorightthewrongsoftheworldbytheinitiationofforceeithercovertlyormilitarily.
AynRandwasalsoopposedtoherphilosophybecoming a formal politicalmovementinthewayof a politicalpartyandthushadnothingto do withtheLibertarianParty USA afteritwasformed. OrthodoxObjectiviststothisdayhavenothingto do with "libertarian" movementsorpoliticalparties. However, manylibertarianscametoknowmuchoflibertarianisminitiallythroughthephilosophyandworksofAynRandandthusalsoidentifythemselveswithObjectivism.
Much of the ancient Taoist philosophy of Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu is minarchist libertarian in nature.
Russell Means (1939 - 2012) is from the Oglala Lakota Nation on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota.
He was one of original activists of the American Indian Movement (AIM); an American Indian lecturer, and also later became a screen actor and recording artist. In 1988 he was a candidate for U.S. President in the Libertarian Party primary. Much of his political philosophy was liberaltarian from an Indigenous American perspective.
LPS critiques andtreatsequallythesocialisticLeft, themoderateauthoritarianCenter, andthesociallyconservativeRight, allthreeofwhichdesiretoimposetheir social andeconomicvaluesonallofsocietythroughtheforceofgovernment.
A prime exampleof a prominent, primarily centristminarchistlibertarianinthe USA isformerABCnetworkandnowFoxBusinessNewspolitical/social commentatorandtalkshowhostJohnStossel. He iscurrentlytheonlylibertarianvoiceontheotherwiseRepublicanandsociallyconservative-biasedFoxNewsnetworkownedbyRupertMurdoch. PaleoconservativesJudge Napolitano andGlennBeckhavesincebeenbootedoffthenetwork. Stossel, however, has become somewhat paleolibertarian since moving over to Fox.
Theterm "liberal" has evolvedintobeingsynonymouswiththosewho are non-libertarianleft-of-center "neo-liberals" or "progressives." Rightwingconservativesin particular tendtoaccuseanyonetotheleftofthemwithwhomthey are notinpoliticalor social agreement as being "liberal." Liberaltarians are also "liberal" inthecontextof social toleranceanddiversityfrom a legal standpoint, such as butnotlimitedtobeingin favor oflegalized "pro-choice" abortion; equalrightsunderthelawforhomosexual and transgender people, andthe legalization of "illicit" drugs.
LPS recognizesthattheonlydifferencesbetweenthecoerciveauthoritarianLeft, Center, andRight are theirprioritiesonwhatandhowmuchtotax, spend, regulate, prohibit, andmeddlein.
LPS only advocatesdemocracy, politicaldiversity, and proportional representationinnationsthat are notdominatedbyprincipled, centrist, secularlibertarians or liberaltarians.
LPS favorsallofthefollowing, mostofwhich are alreadyinplacein bits andpiecesaroundvariouspartsofthecontemporarycivilizedworld, andwhichiswhywerefertotheminthepresent tense inthismanifestoratherthan as proposals:
- LPS advocates a competitivefreemarketeconomy, whichisnotthesame as "unbridledcapitalism". As the blogger ofClassically Liberal has stated: "Freemarkets mean marketsthat can’t be manipulatedbybureaucratsandpoliticiansinordertobestowprivilegesorsubsidiesonspecificcorporateentitieswhileusingregulationsandtaxestohampertheircompetition. (Thisiswhatisknown as "cronycapitalism"). A freemarketisonewherepoliticalfavoritism can’t play a role. Americaisnot a freemarketsociety. Whatwehaveis a corporatisteconomywithmanyofthefeaturesoffascism."
Inmanypartsoftheworld, industryisover-regulatedwith "fairtrade" andconsumerprotectionism as the excuse. Inreality, suchover-regulationandthelicensingofprofessionshavefar more to do withrestrictingcompetitionthanprotectingconsumersfromfraud, misrepresentation, andharm.
- A lowflattaxontheincomeofemployeesandfor-profitbusinesses, withthecontinualallowanceoftaxwrite-offsfordonationsmadetodulycertifiedprivate, non-profitorganizations.
- No taxationofincomeearnedabroadonthepartofcitizenslivingabroad. (Clickhereforfurtherinformationonthissubject).
LPS is notopposedtoreplacing federal andstateincometaxeswithjust a valueaddedtax (sales tax) ifthelatterisabletoaffordallessentialgoodsandservicesthat has to be providedbygovernment. For example, some wealthy communities, and also American Indian reservations with lucrative casino gaming operations, operate their own private police and fire departments. However, in communities that do not have the private financial means to pay for or afford individual user fees for police, firefighting, and paramedic services, taxation to support such services is in order.
- A low sales taxonthepurchaseofgoods, and no sales taxatallon medicine orperishable, consumablefooditems, includingmostcategoriesofbeverages.
- Anoptionalanti-discriminationpolicy incentive intheformof a taxbreakpactbetweengovernmentaltaxcollection agencies andprivatebusinesses, employers, andlandlordsinlieuofimposinganti-discriminationlawsupontheprivate sector. (Theenforcementprocedures can be workedout).
As alreadymentionedabove, thelicensingofprofessionshavefar more to do thesedayswithrestrictingcompetitionthanprotectingconsumersfromfraud, misrepresentation, andharm. TakeforexamplethepsychotherapeuticprofessionsofClinicalPsychology, MarriageandFamilyTherapy, andClinical Social Work. Most U.S. states, forinstance, requirethoseprofessionsto be licensedbythestateinordertoexercisetheminexchangeforrenumeration, especiallyforprofitintheprivate sector. Mostformsofpsychotherapyconsistoftechniquesinvolvingconversationalcounselingandtalktherapy, whetherit be cognitiveorhypnotic. Thefieldsofclinicalpsychology, relationshipcounselingandtherapy, clinical social work, andevenpsychiatry are forthemostparttheoretical, experimental, non-exactsciencesthat are oftenprejudicedwith cultural biases, particularlyonthepartofelitistEurocentricswhodominateandregulatethoseprofessionsintheWest.
Psychotherapyis more of a natural artthananacquiredskill. Manypeoplewith a talentfor visual andplasticartstakeclassesinartjusttosharpentheskillstheyalreadyhave--nottolearntobecomeartists. Likewise, the formal studyofpsychologicaltheroriesandpsychotherapuetictechniquesisjusttosharpenthoseskillsonealready has. Yetmoststatesorgovernmentsrequirerigorousrequirementsforlicensureinthepsychotherapeuticarts, whichagain, mainlyconsistofsomesortofconversationalcounselingandtherapy. Whyshouldsuchfreedomofspeechbetweentwoor more individuals be restrictedorviolatedjustbecauserenumerationisinvolved?
Anotherexampleistheprofessionofprivateinvestigations. Thepurposeofprivate detectives orprivateinvestigators (PIs) istoobtaininformationfortheirclientsbywayofundercoversurveillance, conductinginterviews, andsearchingfororresearchingrecordsanddocuments. Investigativejournalistsbasically do thesamething. However, thelatter are notsubjectedtostatelicensure as are PIs, whoinmoststates are requiredto complete thousandsofhoursofexperience as aninvestigativeagencyemployee, thenpass a state PI orinsuranceadjuster's exam. Inadditiontohavingtoobtainandrenewlicensure, theyalsohavetopurchase a liabilityinsurancebondinordertopracticetheirprofessioninexchangeforremuneration. Theserequirementswerelobbiedinprinciplebyretiredpoliceofficerswhowentintoprivate detective workafterwards, andwhowanttostiflecompetitionbymeansofsaidregulations.
IntheUnitedStates, graduatesofstateandfederally-recognizedlawschools can practicelawin federal courtswithouthavingtoobtain a state bar licensefirst. However, inordertohavetherighttopracticelawin a statecourt, theymustfirstpass a state bar exam. Bar examsinmanystates are difficulttopassthefirst time around, particularlyin California andNewYork. They are purposefullydesignedthatwaytostiflecompetition.
Inmostnations, lawschoolgraduatesafterpassing a bar exam can practicelawinanystateorprovinceoftheirnation. However, inthe U.S., onemustfirstpassthe bar examofeachstateonedesirestopracticelawin. Thatrestrictionneedsto be abolishedinadditiontorigorousstate bar exams.
Theprofessionsjustoutlined as examples are onlybut a fewofthehundredsthat are eitherover-regulatedorthatshouldnotrequirestatelicensureatall, oratleastnotrequireanyprerequisitesforobtaining a license, such as bywayof a writtenexam, oral exam, internship, orrequiring a a certainamountofhoursofexperiencein a tradeorprofessionbeforebeingissued a license. Professionallicensesshouldalso be issuedfor a modestfeeandnothaveto be renewable. Thus a re-examinationandoverhaulofallcurrentoccupationallicensurerequirementsisinorder, especiallythosethat are reallydesignedtostiflecompetitionthantoprotectthepublicfromfraud, misrepresentationand "mal practice," forwhichthere are alreadylawsandpenaltiesinplacewhetherone has permissionfromthestatetopractice a professionornot.
- Anexemptiononthetaxationofincomeforprivatehealthcareprovidersandpharmaciesthatacceptgovernment-fundedhealthvouchersissuedtolowandfixedincomepatientswho do nothaveandcannotaffordprivatehealthinsurance, andforprivatehealthinsurersthatchargereasonableratesforpoliciesto be determinedby a governmentinsurancecommission, andwhoacceptpolicyapplicantswithpre-existingmedicalconditions. Privatehealthprovidersandprivateinsurancecompanies can ofcoursecollectivelynegotiateandre-negotiatetheirrateswiththegovernmentinsurancecommission.
Pharmaceutical developers and wholesale manufacturers of medications should also have the option of being tax-exempt in exchange for charging limited rates for their products.
Privately-paid-forhealthinsuranceplansthroughprivateinsurersshouldalways be availabletoindividuals, businessesandorganizationsthatwanttopurchasethemand can affordthem, includingconsumer-ownednonprofitcooperativesthatsellinsuranceincompetitionwithprivatefor-profitindustry, notunlikethewayprivatenot-for-profitelectricandagricultureco-opsoperate.
Libertariansofallstripes favor greatereducationalchoicethroughgovernment-fundedvouchers, particularlyfor grades K-12, andsupporttherightofparentsandguardianstoschooltheirchildrenathomeinlieuofattending a publicorprivateschool. LPS thuscallsfor a lowflattaxoranexemptiononthetaxationofincomeofprivateschoolsthatacceptgovernment-fundededucationalvouchers .
Parochialschoolsthatacceptsuchvouchersmustcontractuallyagreenottocompelvoucherstudentstoparticipateinor be subjectedtoreligiousprayers, rites, instruction, ordiscrimination.
Libertariansinprinciple are opposedtogovernmentwelfareprogramsandideallywouldlikeprivate, charitableorganizationstoonlyprovide social welfareservices. However, minarchists and particularly liberaltarians realizethatnotallindividualsandfamilies are abletomeetthespecialneedsoffriendsandlovedonesunabletocareforthemselves, andthatprivate, charitable non-profitorganizations (NGOs) cannothandleallofthe load inmostjurisdictionsbythemselves. LPS thus does notopposegovernmentgrantsorsubsidestocharitablewelfareNGOs, ortheoperationofpublicwelfare agencies inregionswhereNGOs are lacking, inordertofillinthegapforpeoplewithoutanyresourcestomeettheirbasicneedsforsurvival, such as food, clothing, shelter, medicine andhealthcare, especiallyforthosewho are genuinelyunabletoliveindependentlyandcareforthemselves, such as childrenandthephysicallyandmentallydisabled. GovernmentcontractswithNGOsmustinclude a clauseforthemtoagreenottodiscriminateonthebasisorrace, gender, sexual orientation, etc.
- Therightofprivateadultcitizensofsoundmindtopurchaseandbarehandguns and their ammunition, andtocarrythemloadedontheirpersonconcealedwithoutfirsthavingtoobtainpermissionfrom a lawenforcementagencyorothergovernmentbureaucracy.
-Therightofprivateindividualsand businesses to sell such firearms.
For what they're worth, LPS does not oppose (nor advocate) expedient background checks as a prerequisite to purchasing a firearm from a firearms shop or dealer; prohibiting persons convicted of a violent crime involving a firearm from possessing firearms while on parole, or requiring trigger safety locks on firearms kept in homes with very young children. LPS does oppose a waiting period or state-issued permit for purchasing ammunition.
Gun prohibition does not not work. Those in jurisdictions where the private sale, ownership, and possession of firearms is prohibited can purchase one on the black market. Where there is a demand for a good or service, there is always a supplier. Most drug cartels and organized crime syndicates have the resources to purchase firearms and ammunition from abroad and import them clandestinely, or manufacture them themselves.
Switzerland has the world's lowest crime rate of any nation because many of its citizens and most of its households, businesses, and public institutions are armed. A criminal with a gun is not likely to commit a crime using a gun knowing that most otherwise potential victims are armed.
FREEDOM FOR AND FROM RELIGION
- No government-imposed definitions of what constitutes a church or religion, and no government interference with private religious organizations that do not violate the life, liberty, or property rights of others, including those of their own members.
- Churches and religious organizations that receive income but that do not pay taxes should be prohibited from publicly endorsing, campaigning for, or campaigning against political candidates, ballot initiatives, and ballot propositions in any manner or attempting to influence legislators, legislation, or modification of laws and legal codes. This includes members of the clergy and other representatives speaking out on or acting on behalf of their churches or religious organizations, including religious professional organizations such as a Christian Attorneys Association, etc. Those churches and religious organizations that violate those prohibitions, or those that charge set fees or a set "minimum donation" for goods and services, should have their tax-exempt status permanently revoked by the government.
- No government funding or subsidies for military or civilian chaplains. Their support must come from their religious denomination or some other outside private source. Chaplains serving military personnel must remain civilians as opposed to becoming commissioned officers, warrant officers, or enlistees in the military when serving in the capacity of chaplain.
- LPS advocates secular government, secular public institutions and property, secular coin and currency, and secular laws void of religious and theocratic influences and references.
PRISON SENTENCES AND CAPITAL PUNISHMENT
The only crimes warranting life imprisonment without the possibility of parole are premeditated homicide (a.k.a. first degree murder); non-premeditated but intentional homicide (a.k.a. second degree murder), and kidnapping for ransom or coercion. Multi-decade sentences for repeat offenders for other major violent crimes are not inappropriate.
No mandatory death sentences. Persons sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole should have the option of being executed swiftly and painlessly, and without a viewing audience, in lieu of spending the rest of their natural lives incarcerated.
Defendants accused of a crime in which the penalty is life imprisonment without the possibility of parole must be determined guilty beyond an absolute doubt as opposed to just a reasonable doubt.
No arrests or prosecutions based solely on the allegations of single or multiple criminal informants.
The following systems of justice are more costly to taxpayers but nevertheless more just:
- A public judicial system consisting of three judge panels to hear criminal trials and major civil trials as opposed to trials by jury or single judge bench trials.
- Three judge panels for juvenile court and family court hearings.
The same three judges do not sit on the bench together for each trial that they hear.
The presiding judge for the trial is chosen by a lottery system.
Verdicts can be made by majority rather than unanimous decision.
Verdicts can be appealed to a higher court with a larger odd number panel of judges hearing the case.
Libertarians and LPS also support and encourage the use of private courts of binding arbitration in matters of civil litigation as an alternative to the public judicial system.
The public and the media should have access to most judicial hearings and trials, and non-disruptive photography, video recording, and the broadcasting of hearings and trials should be permitted. (U.S. federal courts and the U.S. Supreme Court currently prohibit photography, video recording, and broadcast of their proceedings, which is a form of elitism and lack of transparency at the expense of U.S. taxpayers. However, in Mexico, for example, that nation's Supreme Court proceedings are broadcast on TV.
INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY AND CIVIL RIGHTS
- Equal rights and equal treatment under the law for all citizens, including homosexual, bisexual, transgender, and intersex individuals in relation to marriage, adoption, government employment, serving in the military, and immigration.
- The prohibition of government-imposed involuntary servitude in the form of military conscription; mandatory national civilian service, registration for such servitude, and jury duty.
- The abolition of all "vice" and victimless crime laws, including those that prohibit gambling, adult prostitution, adult pornography, and the production, distribution, sale, purchase, and consumption of "illicit" and recreational drugs on the part of adults.
(The only government "war on drugs" campaigns that are effective are those in nations that execute drug dealers and drug addicts, or sentence illicit drug consumers to an excessive number of years in prison).
- The right of an adult to purchase any medication without a prescription, although we are unopposed to a prescription requirement for antibiotics, being that not taking the correct antibiotic for a particular type of infection can eventually result collectively in antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria. Qualified pharmacists in addition to physicians, dentists, and podiatrists should be legally permitted to prescribe antibiotics for human consumption.
Persons convicted in a court of law for violating such prohibitions are due a government pardon when such acts become legal.
- The legal right of an individual to take his or her own life without harming others or tresspass, which includes the right of a patient suffering from a terminal, non-curable medical condition to elect medical suicide that is legally assisted by a qualified medical professional.
- The right of an individual of sound mind to pre-elect by way of a legal document, medical assisted suicide in the event that he or she becomes permanently, mentally vegetative or comatose.
- The right of the most legal next of kin of sound mind to have the option of having the proper medical personnel discontinue the assisted or artificial life support of a relative in a permanent mental vegetative or comatose state; i.e., unless the relative pre-stated in a legal document that assisted or artificial life support is not to be discontinued under such medical circumstances.
Medical professionals convicted in a court of law for said form of assisted suicide are due a government pardon when such an act becomes legal.
- No state or government restrictions on or prohibitions against abortion.
From a biological and scientific standpoint, a fetus in the womb of a woman is a pre-human. Prior to the third trimester, a pre-human fetus cannot survive outside the womb without artificial life support, and fetal brain activity does not fully develop until about the seventh month. The assertion by most anti-abortion people that the destruction of an embryo or the abortion of a fetus constitutes the murder of a human being is based on a non-scientific theological belief that has no place in secular law. The option of a state or federal government to prohibit abortion as just a means of birth control during the third trimester is a reasonable compromise, although LPS is not in favor of making late-term abortions illegal. Most physicians, including OB/GYNs that perform abortions, elect not to perform them after the second trimester anyway unless a pregnancy during that stage presents a serious health risk to the woman.
LPS further opposes zoning ordinances on the part of state and local governments designed to zone away abortion clinics.
AGE OF CONSENT LAWS
- A universal age of suffrage no higher than 18 and no lower than 16.
- A universal age for the legal purchase and consumption of alcohol and tobacco no higher than 18 and no lower than 16, although it should be legal for persons under the age of 16 to consume in moderation beverages low in alcohol volume such as wine for religious or dining purposes in non-commercial establishments with parental or guardian consent.
- A universal legal age of sexual consent no higher than 16 and no lower than 13. (That's the current legal age range in most of Europe).
Persons convicted in a court of law for "contributing to the delinquency" or "corruption of a minor", or "lewd conduct with a minor", or "statutory rape" (consensual sex with an adolescent) are due a government pardon in cases where the age of majority for such acts is lowered and the then consenting but under age "victim" would have no longer been under age and thus not a victim in the first place.
The only sexual activities that should legally qualify as a "sex crime" and warrant registration as a "sex offender" are forcible rape, and sexual solicitation, sexual fondling, and vaginal, oral, and anal intercourse on the part of an adult or adolescent with a person under the age of 13, even if it is consensual on the part of the child.
LPS is unopposed to local, state, and federal governments legalizing nudity in public such as the city of San Francisco, California had. Urinating in public for the purpose of bladder relief should not be considered a sexual offense, nor consensual "sexting," which is the non-commercial electronic uploading, downloading, and transmission of nude or pornographic images by way of internet cell phone service.
LPS is not opposed to the prohibition of the production of photographs and videos depicting children under the age of 13 for the purpose of sexual arousal and gratification, and in particular such images of children engaged in sexual activity or being subjected to physical and sexual abuse.
However, we are opposed to the legal prohibition of just viewing such material online or the presence of it on the computer hard drive of a non-producer of such erotica, being that there have been documented cases of computer hackers downloading such material onto the hard drives of innocent persons without their knowledge or consent who have in turn been arrested and charged with the downloading and possession of child pornography after it being discovered by a computer repair technician, etc. There have also been cases of people utilizing the WiFi signals of neighbors for such a purpose without the neighbor's knowledge or consent.
INTERNATIONAL COMMERCE AND TRAVEL
- Low government tariffs, international free trade agreements, and the right of private individuals, organizations, and businesses to travel, conduct business, and trade anywhere abroad without permission from their government first. For U.S. citizens, that includes travel to Cuba and North Korea, and an end to U.S. trade embargos against nations it is not at war with. The national government(s) of which an individual is a citizen should have no control or jurisdiction over the citizen's travel and activities abroad. To do otherwise is a violation of the sovereignty of the individual and a lack of regard for the sovereignty of other nations.
FOREIGN POLICY AND NATIONAL DEFENSE
The proper role of a nation's government and military is to secure the rights of it's citizens--not to police or right the wrongs of the world. Therefore, LPS advocates:
- A peaceful, neutral, non-interventionist foreign policy like the model foreign policy Switzerland has, with no governmental initiation of force or aggression abroad politically, militarily, or by way of covert operations. Or as the third president of the United States Thomas Jefferson stated in his First Inaugural Address over two hundred years ago: "Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations--entangling alliances with none."
- A national defense apparatus confined to domestic territory and neutral waters during peacetime, and just large enough to defend the nation in proportion to its geographical size and population.
- A military policy of bravery as a prerequisite for serving in the armed forces, which includes the absence of institutionalized discrimination or cowardice such as racially segregated troops, homophobia and transphobia. Those that are too emotionally uncomfortable to serve along side military personnel of a different race, ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation are unfit for military duty.
- Liberal immigration policies in any "nation of immigrants" where the majority population is not indigenous to the nation state that the nation occupies territorially. In America, unrestricted migration for Amerindian-blooded individuals from neighboring nations that do not pose a health or other harmful threat to the well-being of the citizens of the nation they desire to migrate to.
Using the United States as a further example, an American employer does not owe any American citizen a living. That employer should have the legal right to import foreign labor for any reason in lieu of hiring a citizen of his or her own country. For example, if an employer wants to hire ten Mexican citizens on an immigration waiting list to fill ten positions in his or her company, he or she should have that right. Such a market economy immigration policy would greatly reduce the "illegal immigration problem". Liberaltarians in America also favor the right of U.S., Mexican, and Canadian citizens to live and work in one another's countries with the same ease as citizens of European Union member nations can within the E.U.
LPS advocates the option of autonomy-to-independent statehood (actual maximum sovereignty) for indigenous/aboriginal communities and reservations with tribal governments, including the optional right of individual citizens and future generations of such indigenous states to retain (dual) citizenship with the greater "immigrant settler nation" or non-tribal nation state that dominates their continent, island, or original indigenous territorial region.
Immigrant settler and non-tribal nation states should otherwise not be obligated to provide subsidies or restitution to such former autonomous satellite colonies or formed confederations of indigenous tribal states unless such financial arrangements are included in a new treaty between the two.
LPS supports the prohibition against cruelty to animals in the form of domestic and commercial neglect and torture, including prolonged substandard confinement, painful laboratory experimentation, and betting and entertainment blood sports such as Spanish-style bullfighting and bull runs, cockfighting, and dogfighting. We also do not condone the use of animals for human entertainment in circuses, aquatic parks, etc.
LPS believes that humans should only kill animals, birds, and aquatic creatures for practical purposes, and as swiftly and painlessly as possible.
Most libertarians and liberaltarians do not accept the belief that industrial and internal combustion engine-produced carbon emissions are primarily responsible for the major climate changes that have taken place in various parts of the globe in recent decades. Planet Earth has gone through many cycles of ice ages and warm tropical climate ages over millions of years long before artificial carbon emissions existed. Based on scientific evidence so far, global warming and global cooling appear to be primarily the result of changes in solar activity. The mechanical rovers sent to the planet Mars have detected an increase in temperature on that planet, and artificial satellites sent up into outer space have detected an increase in solar activity and temperature within our solar system.
LPS is not opposed to domestic and international environmental laws designed to deter, prevent, and punish excessive exploitation or damage of natural resources and wildlife, particularly those that we depend on for survival, such as but not limited to air and water. Offshore oil drilling should be conducted with the utmost technological safeguards and be routinely inspected by governmental experts in oil rig safety and technology.
LPS is not opposed to the sale of government-owned parks to private conservation organizations or ceding them over to indigenous tribal governments, providing that they contractually agree to maintain them as parks open to the public with reasonable fees should they elect to charge for entry, camping, etc., and that they have the financial means to maintain them indefinitely.
Peace, commerce and friendship with no tangling alliances abroad.
Excerpt from Atlas Shrugged
"Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with."»